Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Review: Wicked

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire

This book took me forever to get through and I was very disappointed. I saw the Broadway musical and I loved it so when I heard it was a book I had to check it out. It was not at all what I expected in many different ways. When the book started it was just a lot more blunt about life, which is fine, but as it went on, there were more chapters that were just unnecessary and frankly disturbing and had no place in the plot. I'm not talking about in that 'Oh, good heavens to Betsy! Did that young man just engage in inappropriate sexual activities?' It seems when Maguire could not think of repugnant scenes to add, simply for shock value, he rattled on about politics for pages before abruptly, and without any explanation, jumping 5, 6, 9 years at a time. I found it hard to care about most of the characters and many of them did things that did not seem to fit with their 

Some of the gems that this book had to offer were: page long descriptions of someone having diarrhea, a threesome with a tiger, descriptions of a 9 year-year-old playing with her mother's nipple, and a creation story featuring a goddess's urine. I got the impression that the book was trying to be edgy with some of it, but it just came off terrible

I also later found out that this was written as a metaphor for something (different people say it's about different things, so I'm not sure) and maybe if I understood more about it, I could appreciate this book more, but I doubt it. 

This book was quite a disappointment and I'll probably not read the rest of the series. I do not recommended reading this book. 

Wicked on Goodreads
My review on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment