Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Review: Talon


Talon by Julie Kagawa

I have been a big fan of Julie Kagawa for a few years now. I loved her Iron Fey series, and have recently finished her Blood of Eden series, so when I heard she was writing a new book about dragons I was ecstatic! It did take me a while to get started because of real life interfering (I know!) but I finally got a chance to read Talon.

I'm not sure what I expected from this book, but it was not this at all, and that's OK! This was such a unique book about dragons! This book is a story of a young dragon named Ember who, with her twin brother, is training to enter her adult life with her assigned role in Talon, the organization of dragons. Disguised as humans, Talon is waging a war against St. George, a religious organization determined to save humanity from the dragons. Ember's is forced to question everything she thought she believed when she is placed in Crescent Beach for her final training and meets Riley, a rogue dragon on the run from Talon, and Garret, an undercover St. George agent.

I loved the pace that this book moved at, there were lulls in the action but everything kept moving along. I think back to the first time I picked up one of Kagawa's books and her writing just keeps getting better. The changing point of views gave you a wonderful image of the whole story with some great dramatic irony. 

I was a little disappointed that Kagawa went with the love triangle story line again with this series, unlike Blood of Eden. I'm not generally a fan of love triangles. That being said, she always manages to elevate them beyond two guys like the same girl, and this time is no exception. Ember is torn between raw instinct and passion, and a true human connection, even where she should not be able to have one. 

Overall this book was spectacular and anyone who loves fantasy YA should read this!


No comments:

Post a Comment